Thursday, October 15, 2009

Ten Songs

Someone asked me recently to list ten songs that meant something to me. Songs that inspired me, songs that were associated with special memories or people.

Here's my list, as it was. Thinking about it now days later, its still true

1. Dangling Conversation - Simon and Garfunkel
This was my mum's music, and in high school I stole the cassette (parsley sage, rosemary and thyme) and played it to death because it reminded me of her blasting it all over the house when we were kids. This is my fav of the album.

2. Piano Man - Billy Joel
Same reason. And a great song

3. Orange Colored Sky - Nat King Cole (and me!)
I sang this with my jazz band when I was a senior in high school. It was awesome.

4. Ring Out Wild Bells - Alfred Lord Tennyson (lyrics)
I sang this with the region choir Jr year of HS. It was prob the most difficult song I've ever sung with a choir, but the night we preformed it, on stage with a few hundred people, a grand piano, and a giant auditorium, the swell of sound around and in me made me want to cry. It was beautiful and magical. I know that sounds kinda lame, but its true.

5. Float On - Modest Mouse
They're one of my fav bands, and when I saw them live was when I realized how much this song meant to me. Its a song about smilin through the hard times. Yeah.

6. The News From Your Bed - Bishop Allen
This band means a lot to me because my Sr year of HS I won a writing contest and got a script I wrote turned into a short film. This band let me use one of their songs as our main song. This song was not it, but it's the most listened to song on my itunes. Its about being alone on you birthday, but its totally upbeat. You'll have to hear it.

7. No Rain - Blind Melon
Blind Melon is an extremely underrated band. They've got an awesome discography, but this, their one hit, was my favorite song for a long time. It just makes me happy, ya know?

8. Sweet Caroline -Neil Diamond
Duh

9. It Doesn't Matter Anymore – Eva Cassidy
This is a cover of a Buddy Holly song by a dead girl with one of the most beautiful voices in the world. Helped me though some bad heartbreak. And its so, so pretty.

10. Playground Love – Air
Seeeeexxxy sexy song.


Honorable mentions:
shove it: Santigold
anything by the beatles (I can't pick just one album, let alone one song)
Sour Times: Portishead (the live version)
So Desperate: The Mountain Goats
I'm Always Chasing Rainbows: (only when sung by me)
Something off Paul Simon's Graceland

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Local gas stations and convenience stores appear to be newport cigarettes experiencing an uptick in sales over the last couple of weeks as the Oneida Indian Nation’s supply of mainstream brand cigarettes dwindles.But earlier this year Kinley Tshering, then a media consultant in the capital, Thimphu, discussed with friends over drinks the jailing of a Buddhist monk for three years for possessing $3 worth of tobacco, one of the first to be prosecuted under a new law banning public smoking cheap newport cigarettes.