Wednesday, October 8, 2008

School check

Brigham Young University

Rankings and Recognition for Brigham Young University

From U.S.News & World Report:

#79 - BYU's rank among best national universities

#16 - Least Debt

#26 - Great Schools Great Price

#38 - Best Undergraduate Business Program (Marriott School of Management)

#3 - Best Undergraduate Accounting Program (Marriott School)

#19 - International business program specialty (Marriott School)

From The Princeton Review:

#1 - Stone-Cold Sober Schools

#1 - Students Pray on a Regular Basis

#1 - Future Rotarians and Daughters of the American Revolution

#3 - Best College Library

#4 - Students Most Nostalgic for Ronald Reagan

From U.S.News & World Report: Graduate School Rankings

Business: #41 Overall – BYU’s Marriott School of Management

Law: #44 Overall – J. Reuben Clark Law School

Nursing: #72 Overall – BYU’s Nursing program

Social Work: #87 Overall - Graduate social work program

Engineering: #92 Overall - College of Engineering

General rankings:

#10 - In number of graduates who go on to earn PhDs (NORC at the University of Chicago)

#1 - Producer of dental school-bound students (AADSAS)

#6 - Producer of law school-bound students (LSAC)

Top 10 - Producer of medical school-bound students (AAMC)

#9 - Number of short-term study abroad programs (Institute of International Education)

#16 - Number of students in study abroad (Institute of International Education)

#1 - Yield: Accepted students who go on to enroll (U.S. News)

From The Wall Street Journal:

#1 - Master of Business Administration program among regional schools.

#2 - Business school ethics emphasis

#4 - Accounting emphasis


You see what's bold, italic and green? That's enough to make me stop lookin at this school. I already know we won't get along. NEXT!

Arkansas Baptist College

Next on my list is Arkansas Baptist College. I went to the web page and immediately left after reading the motto: "It's a GOoD thing!" See ya. 


Why are all the cheap schools so uber religious? I don't have anything against religious people, or even religious schools, but I'm not down to be converted every time I go to class. I wouldn't have any problem with going to a religious school, but universities that fly their flag so high and proud are after a certain demographic. And I am not it. 


Philander Smith College


Looks like a mostly-black school. Got nothing wrong with that- I've def got some chocolate love. According to their website, they are "a private, residential, co-educational, four-year undergraduate liberal arts college affiliated with the United Methodist church and a founding member of the United Negro College Fund (UNCF). Philander is classified as a baccalaureate (liberal arts) college by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching. Updated in 2007, the  College's emerging mission is to “graduate academically accomplished students who are grounded as advocates for social justice, determined to intentionally change the world for the better.”


No red flags yet for me, but I'd need to find out how their sociology program is before I rule em out.


So far I only like one school on my list, but I'd rather rule out all but one than have too many to choose from. Anyone that's ever ordered with me at a restaurant knows that I don't do well making decisions. More later.




No comments: