Monday, July 28, 2008

Besties

I really hate it when a website requiring a profile asks for your favorite music.

Don't get me wrong, I love music. I love love LOVE music. But I feel that every time you announce to the world what bands, genres, and musicians you align yourself with, it's almost like marking yourself, or joining a gang. I feel there's too much emphasis placed on the importance of one's musical tastes. Maybe it's me; maybe I'm paranoid. 

That being said, I DO love talking about music. I love being exposed to new music, seeing live musicians, enveloping myself in music facts. And since I also love to hear myself talk (online?) I'm going to list my favorite albums. Not my favorite artists, because, honestly, there are a lot of musicians out there with bucket loads of my respect, but rather the albums that I find just perfect. I was having a conversation with a friend about this the other day about great albums, that you can't skip through one song. That's how I like to listen to music- by the album. Or with my itunes on shuffle, like it is now. Whichever. 

Anyway, my most fav albums are (in no particular order):

The Beatles - Abbey Road



How can I not start with this epic album? The first time I heard it all the way through, I cried. From the AWESOME end of the first side, a huge wall of sound at the end of I Want You (She's So Heavy) to the drum solo on the end of The End, this is an album that rocks you to your core, Beatles fan or not. 

Bedouin Soundclash - Street Gospels 


I saw these guys open for Hot Hot Heat last October. I had never heard of them before, but they made a bigger impression on me than the band I paid to see. The album is a fantastic reggae album that I had on replay for months.

Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News



Real Modest Mouse fans *scoff* at anyone that lists this as their favorite Modest Mouse album. I can't help it- I still think it's one of the best albums EVER. It's more than a playlist of awesome music. It tells such a complete and powerful story about dealing with the death of a friend. Or, that's how I read it.

Paul Simon - Graceland



Ground breaking album by one of the greatest musicians of the 20th century, and the first Album I could sing all the way through. What else can I say?

Simon & Garfunkle - Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme



Since we're talking about Paul Simon anyway, I can't help but list another one of my favorite albums. This entire album sounds like a book of poetry set to music. My fav- The Dangling Conversation. A sample:

Its a still life water color,
Of a now late afternoon,
As the sun shines through the curtained lace
And shadows wash the room.
And we sit and drink our coffee
Couched in our indifference,
Like shells upon the shore
You can hear the ocean roar
In the dangling conversation
And the superficial sighs,
Are the borders of our lives.

Pure Poetry. *sigh*

Anyway, I better go start my day. I KNOW I have more to add to this list, but it should happen another time. 

No comments: