Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Movie Review

I saw Natural Born Killers the other night for the first time in a while. It's one of my favorite movies (seriously, every scene, every character, every camera angle is so crazy it's so GOOD!) and I've seen it a million trillion times, but it's still stuck with me. It's like Schindler's List or Napoleon Dynamite- for whatever reason, the experience of watching this movie tugs at my brain for days afterwards like a sore on the inside of my cheek. I come back to them to poke and prod at them with my mind, always aware of the movie, even if I'm not thinkin of it directly. 

Man, that's one of my favorite things about Natural Born Killers- how it always floats around my head like a ghost after watching it.

Anyway, the reason I'm sayin this is because I have come to the conclusion that it's not just a trippy Oliver Stone film, or an action movie. Natural Born Killers is a beautiful love story at it's core. Here are two people with no one else in the world but each other, who would do anything for each other. Maybe I'm a sappy romantic, or was just feeling lonely at the time, but I thought the way they touched each other, looked at each other and kissed each other (hot) was so sweetly tender, and yet strangely savage. Like the best love makin. 

Also, I got to wonderin if they (the actors, Juliette Lewis and Woody Harrison, not Mickey and Mallory Knox) had gotten busy while filming. 

It couldn't have hurt their character development.

No comments: